I bought a huge bag of potatoes right when quarantine started. As such we have used them in so many recipes. These potato pancakes have been one of our favorites and are an amazing comfort food. I love the original recipe I found on pinterest from Phal’s market but I made a few changes to add a little more flavor and make them a little healthier. If you’d like to check out the original recipe click the link below:
How to serve:
We make them at breakfast and top them with salsa, or greek yogurt and serve with fruit. Alternatively, you can top them with warm applesauce or sour cream. They reheat well in the microwave the next morning!
What the Husband thinks:
Each Monday I post meatless recipes that I’ve tried out on my husband, David. He rates them using the Missing the Meat rating system we came up with.
Missing the Meat Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars!
Potatoes in some form are always great at breakfast time. I think potato pancakes are pretty good but I usually view them as more of a side dish to some good sausage. If you’ve ever been to a German restaurant that is how they are usually presented. Every time I eat these pancakes I’m always wishing I had a really good German sausage to go with it. With that being said these are still really good. Potatoes and pancakes what’s not to like. I give these 3.5 stars.
Savory Potato PancakesCourse: Breakfast, SidesCuisine: German, vegetarian, veganDifficulty: Easy
These savory fried potato pancakes turn out golden and crispy. They make the perfect breakfast or side dish and heat up great the next day!
6 medium potatoes
1 small onion
2 eggs lightly beaten
⅓ cup plus 2 tbsp. of whole wheat flour
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 pinch of cayenne powder
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup vegetable oil for frying
- Wash, and grate the onion and potatoes (no need to peel the potatoes unless you want to) using a box grater
- In a large mixing bowl add all your ingredients and mix
- Heat oil in frying pan on medium
- Add ⅓ cup of mixture to the pan using a measuring cup and flatten to about ½ inch thick, repeat until the skillet is full, leaving space between the pancakes
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and let them rest on a plate covered in a kitchen towel or paper towels to remove excess oil
- Sprinkle with salt
- I add less salt into the pancake mixture. Instead I season with salt after they come out of the frying pan, like french fries.
- To make this vegan just use egg a vegan egg substitute instead of eggs.
Follow Me on Social Media to stay up to date with my posts!